You are here... Home : Careers : Working Abroad

Working Abroad

Can I work abroad using my UK forestry Qualifications?

Unfortunately there is no simple/straightforward answer to this question! However, there is advice and guidance available for those who wish to work overseas using UK qualifications.

UK qualifications are very highly regarded globally due to the reputation and quality of the UK education system. This means that most (but not all) UK professional and vocational qualifications are recognised abroad.

However, before you pack up everything and move abroad make sure you have done your research! While the dream of moving abroad and starting afresh may be very appealing the reality is not always as straight forward.


Working in an EU country

You have the right to work in any country in the European Economic Area (EEA) without a work permit if you’re a UK citizen.

The EEA includes, all countries in the European Union plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

Work in a non-EU country

If you are a British citizen and you wish to work in a non EU country you will need to have a work permit. In most cases, you’ll need a job offer from your chosen country so that you can get a visa to move there. Some countries, like Australia, Canada and New Zealand, use a points system to decide whether you’re eligible for a visa.

The requirements imposed by each county on those applying for a work permit may vary. Further information on visa and immigration requirements for all none EU countries can be found at the prospects website.